A Brief Book Notice from Books At a Glance
By Fred Zaspel
This is one of the very best books on prayer I have ever read. What a treat. It is not one of those books on prayer designed to make you feel guilty for your prayerlessness: it just inspires you to pray. Onwuchekwa’s focus is not personal, individual prayer, but corporate prayer – the church at prayer together. But that corporate focus of course has inevitable impact on the individuals, and – I’ll say it again – this is one of the very best books on prayer I have read.
You won’t notice any deliberate attempt on Onwuchekwa’s part to “be passionate” about his subject. He writes very simply and very plainly about a subject that seems very familiar to him, and the passion you sense rising in you as you read is much more caught than taught as he describes prayer and explores its value and potential.
A brief but profitable guide and a pleasure to read. I’ve often thought that prayer ought to be prominent in any list of the marks of a healthy church, and this contribution to the 9Marks library is both welcome and worthy. Highly recommended. Certainly a book every church leader would do well to read.
Other books in the 9Marks Building Healthy Churches series:
- Conversion, by Michael Lawrence
- Biblical Theology, by Nick Roark
- Discipling, by Mark Dever
- Missions, by Andy Johnson
- Church Elders, by Jeramie Rinne
- The Gospel, by Ray Ortlund
- What is the Gospel, by Greg Gilbert
- Sound Doctrine, by Bobby Jamieson
- Evangelism, by J. Mack Stiles
- Expositional Preaching, by David Helm
- Church Discipline, by Jonathan Leeman
- Church Membership, by Jonathan Leeman
- Prayer, by John Onwucheckwa
- What Is a Healthy Church? by Mark Dever
- What Is a Healthy Church Member? by Thabiti Anyabwile
Buy the books
Prayer: How Praying Together Shapes the Church