A Brief Book Notice from Books At a Glance
In this 400th anniversary year of the Mayflower we simply must give notice of this new book. Excellent studies of the history and lives of individual figures of the Mayflower, as well as their character and concerns. Delightful and informative reading and an important contribution to studies in early American history. Watch for our review of this book – soon to come.
This from the book’s “Introduction” by John Clements:
The pages of this book describe one of the most important events in the history of the American Church, and arguably of America itself: the story of how God chose and guided a handful of oppressed religious refugees from England to found one of the greatest nations on earth.
When I started looking into the story in depth, I came to realize that my earlier understanding had been informed by myths and legends, some of them popularized by writers wearing rose-tinted glasses. Strangers and Pilgrims on the Earth: Remembering the Mayflower Pilgrims 1620–2020 helps to dispel some misconceptions by giving me—as I hope it will give you—fresh and exciting insights into the remarkable story of the Mayflower Pilgrims.
The God we worship is, of course, a God of history; thus, all accounts of the Pilgrims are based on facts which are, to a greater or lesser extent, historically verifiable. As a pastor, however, I feel moved to ask you to read these pages with your eyes of faith open, for the narratives within have God’s handprints all over them.
Table of Contents
- The Mayflower Pilgrims (D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones)
- John Robinson: His Life and Teaching (Jonathan Piesse)
- John Robinson’s Country (Adrian Gray)
- William Bridge, A Norfolk Puritan (Michael A.G. Haykin)
- Francis Johnson: Life, Controversies, and Freedom (Tom Nettles)
- The Voyages of the Pilgrims (Francis J. Bremer)
- Robert “Troublechurch” Browne and the “Brownist Emigration” (Gary Brady)
- Stepping-Stones on the Congregational Way: The Ecclesiological Legacy of the Pilgrim Fathers (Nathan Tarr)
- “Such Like Weighty Employments”: A Vindication of Elder William Brewster’s Quest for Religious Liberty (Andrew S. Ballitch)
- The Pilgrim Fathers: The First Critical Years (Roland Burrows)
- The Mayflower Compact and its Long Impact on American Values (Jason Dees)
- Spiritual Lessons from the First Thanksgiving (David Roach)
- Encounter with the Indians (Roy M. Paul)
- The Pilgrim Mothers (Priscilla Wong)
- The Pilgrims and Religious Liberty (Ryan Rindels)
- The Spirituality of the Pilgrim Fathers (Nate Pickowicz)
- Afterword (Michael A.G. Haykin)
Buy the books
STRANGERS AND PILGRIMS ON THE EARTH: REMEMBERING THE MAYFLOWER PILGRIMS, edited by Michael A. G. Haykin, Roy M. Paul, with John Clements