A Brief Book Notice from Books At a Glance
Our friend Pastor Jack Jeffery has compiled a helpful reading list for understanding our times. We post it here with his permission and for your enjoyment!
For The Present Distress
1 Corinthians 7:26
Required readings for the present distress (in order of publication):
- Psalm 2, 37, and 73
- Matthew 28
- Revelation 19–20
- Augustin, The City of God, trans. Henry Bettenson (Penguin Classics). Also available at Christian Classics Ethereal Library.
- Richard Niebuhr, The Kingdom of God in America (New York: Harper & Row, 1937).
- Richard Niebuhr, Christ and Culture (New York: Harper & Row, 1951).
- Carl F. H. Henry, Christian Countermoves in a Decadent Culture, A Critical Concern Book (Portland: Multnomah, 1986).
- Carl F. H. Henry, Twilight of a Great Civilization: The Drift toward Neo-paganism (Wheaton: Crossway, 1988)
- Jacques Barzun, The Culture We Deserve, ed. Arthur Krystal (Middletown: Wesleyan University, 1989).
- Jacques Barzun, From Dawn to Decadence: 1500 to the Present: 500 Years of Western Cultural Life (New York: HarperCollins, 2000).
- D.A. Carson, Christ and Culture Revisited (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008).
- D.A. Carson, The Intolerance of Tolerance (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2009).
Collateral readings for the present distress (in order of publication):
- Francis A. Schaeffer, Escape From Reason (Downers Grove: Inter-Varsity, 1968).
- Francis A. Schaeffer, Death In The City (Wheaton: Crossway, 1969).
- Francis A. Schaeffer, The Church At The End of the Twentieth Century (Downers Grove: Inter-Varsity, 1970).
- Francis A. Schaeffer, The Church Before The Watching World: A Practical Ecclesiology (Downers Grove: Inter-Varsity, 1971).
- Francis A. Schaeffer, and C. Everett Koop, Whatever Happened To The Human Race? (Wheaton: Crossway, 1979).
- Francis A. Schaeffer, The Great Evangelical Disaster (Wheaton: Crossway, 1984).
John T. “Jack” Jeffery
Pastor, Wayside Gospel Chapel
 Other Psalms, particularly the celebration of God as King in the Royal Psalms (93–99), are also of spiritual benefit during dark times of national or international trauma.
Buy the books
CITY OF GOD, by St. Augustine