Editor’s Note: We asked our friend Dr. Michael Haykin for his recommendations for reading on Augustine’s City of God. You’ll want to see his suggestions below!
- Augustine, The City of God Against the Pagans, trans. R. W. Dyson (Cambridge, 1998).
- Robert Dodaro, Christ and the Just Society in the Thought of Augustine (Cambridge, 2004).
- R. W. Dyson, St Augustine of Hippo: The Christian Transformation of Political Philosophy (London, 2005).
- Brian Harding, Augustine and Roman Virtue (London, 2008).
- Mary M. Keys, Pride, Politics, and Humility in Augustine’s City of God (Cambridge, 2022).
- Michael Lamb, A Commonwealth Of Hope: Augustine’s Political Thought (Princeton, 2022).
- R. A. Markus, Saeculum: History and Society in the Theology of St. Augustine (Cambridge, 1970). A second edition appeared in 1989.
- Gerard O’Daly, Augustine’s City of God: A Reader’s Guide (Oxford, 1999).
- John von Heyking, Augustine and Politics as Longing in the World (Columbia, 2001).
- James Wetzel, Augustine and the Limits of Virtue (Cambridge, 1992).
- James Wetzel (ed.), Augustine’s City of God: A Critical Guide (Cambridge, 2012).
Buy the books
THE CITY OF GOD AGAINST THE PAGANS, by Augustine (trans. by R. W. Dyson)